Re: Getting into the straps...

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 08:42:47 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 08:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Getting into the straps...

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 jgw@pacbell.net-DeleteThis wrote:

> So the symptoms are these:
>
> 1. Try to get in the front strap, and I go head to wind.

- Try being gradual about the whole thing. Inch your feet
back. It's real important to keep the board level while
getting in the straps. Generally I do front foot then back,
when putting my foot in the front strap, I keep the other
foot near the middle of the board. If you're rounding up
you likely have your other foot too much on the leeward
side. Work on just moving your feet back on the board,
don't worry about getting in the straps. Once you can
get to the back of the board consistantly, then worry about
getting them in the straps.

> 2. Get going downwind to avoid problem #1, and I end up sometimes
> getting the front foot in for a few seconds, but get out of control and
> wipe out when attempting to get back foot in. I also end up very far
> down wind.

- One exercise that you might try is sailing one footed. Put your
back foot in the middle of the board and pick up your front foot.
Keeping the board in trim with one foot is the key to getting into
the straps.

> 3. Get frustrated and just sail, finally get moving onto a plane, and
> feel like I'm moving too fast to get the feet in without the board
> shaking like crazy... which has happened.

- If the board is "shaking" this likely means that the fin is too
large for your sail. Generally this is called "tail-walking" and
happens when the fin generates enough lift to push the entire
tail out of the water.

> Any help is appreciated!

- It sounds like your board setup could use some tweeking, you might
try asking somebody to take a look at how your harness lines, mast
position, etc is set up.

- Hope this is useful.

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@stanford.edu-DeleteThis