Re: How to pack a board for a trip

From: Kelly Wee (kelly@quake.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 22:06:33 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 22:06:33 -0700
From: Kelly Wee <kelly@quake.net-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: How to pack a board for a trip

Zeev Gur wrote:

> I need to bring my brand new ASD board with me on a
> trip - I had a custom board made for a trade show. My
> question:
>
> How do I pack the board to make sure that I get it there
> and back in one peice?
>
> The board is an 8'9" enduro and I have a padded travel
> bag.

I have had pretty good success with the following:

Wrap the rails with 3/8" ensolite foam cut into 6"-8" wide strips that
run the length of the board (The foam can be obtained from
REI-backpacking pad). Cover the nose & tail with cones made of the same
foam keeping the rail foam inside the cone. Use packing tape or duct
tape to hold it all in place. Wrap the entire board/foam assembly with
bubble wrap (Used from any windsurf shop). Place the mummyized board
inside a padded board bag. If there is any room left in the bag, add
more bubble wrap layers in the nose & rail areas.

In my trips to Maui, I have (1) received my board with GIANT-SIZED boot
prints all over the top surface of the board bag. Obviously some
baggage gorilla was doing some tarmac surfing. "Hey, guys look at
meeee!" (2) Had the tail cracked once. (Before the extensive bagging.)
(3) watched as one baggage guy placed the nose of my board on the
conveyor leading up to the plane hold, release the tail, and allow the
tail to drop 3 feet to the ground. (The mummified board survived that
one.) I have reused the foam assembly many times.

Good Luck

--
Kelly Wee
kelly@quake.net-DeleteThis