Re: sailing palo alto

From: Steve Bangert (mathw@mathworks.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 05 1997 - 15:13:51 PDT

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 18:13:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Bangert <mathw@mathworks.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: sailing palo alto

does anyone sail palo alto regularly? i know it's a high-tide-only
sailing spot, but i've heard mixed reviews as to ease of launch,
flatness (i'm working on planing and speed, not jumping (yet)),
wind, etc. comments?

------------

I've sailed at palo alto quite a bit this year and the last. The chop is
definitely less of a challange that coyote. The wind comes up a bit later
than coyote or 3rd. I'd say the wind is also a notch less than up north.
Pay close attention to the tide (ken's report seems pretty good). The launch
is off a pier so the difficulty of returning to the pier is a function of
your skill. It's not hard to get close enough to swim although it's much
more professional looking to step off your board onto the pier. I personally
like sailing at palo alto because the smaller chop is easier on my old bod
and sailing the flatter water is a kick for high speed jibes and tacks.

snb