Re: New Board

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 08:07:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:07:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: New Board

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Leo J. Bragagnolo wrote:

> OK, I finally convinced my wife to let me retire my well worn Mistral
> Stinger and get a new board this year. I'm hoping to get a close-out
> deal on a new 97 board to save some bucks (if I can find the one I
> want) and for that reason ASD and most custom manufacturers are out.
>
> I'm looking at the Mistral Screamer 263, Seatrend ATV, and F2
> Axxis 262. I'm 170# and sail mostly at Crissy, but also travel to
> Coyote, 3rd, and Rio. Jumping ability and range are my biggest
> priorities - I currently use the Stinger from 4.6 through 6.0.
> Durability is also key, since I tend to keep boards for a
> long time. Any comments, either pro or con, would be appreciated.

- I vote for the Seatrend 8'9" or maybe you're looking at the 8'6".
They are very popular boards so you might not find any year end deals.
The seatrend is not plastic-coated so it's more fragile to minor
dings/scratches (easily fixed with some marinetex ). It's overall
construction is pretty bombproof, mine's held up to lot's of abuse.
If you're past the stage of minor destruction (i.e. do you go over
the nose very often? ) and onto the stage of major destruction
(i.e. can you count to 10 while in the air ?) , the seatrend is
built to stand it.

- You should start demoing boards now. I think you can demo at least
the seatrend and the F2 at Windsurf Warehouse. Go to ASD and demo some
of their boards as well. ASD often has year end deals, they build
enough boards that there are always some around. The $ you spend on
demoing are always well worth it. I try and demo 4-5 boards a season
just for the fun of it. Of course there's always the danger that
you'll like one so much you have to buy it %-)!

- I weight 175# and sail my 8'9" from 4.2 to 6.3m .

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@stanford.edu-DeleteThis