Re: Why it blows at Sherman (second take)

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 17 1997 - 07:37:48 PDT

Sender: kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 07:37:48 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Why it blows at Sherman (second take)

Interesting Pierre.

Comments (from my understanding):

1) Observation: Wind at Sherman and San Luis seems to only blow all
night when the marine layer is thick and on the hills.

 Your model says we should get night wind whenever the sun goes down and
the air over the mountains cool. I don't observe this.

2) Physics....no such thing as suction (when explaining forces). Wind
is due to air in high pressure areas rushing into low pressure areas.
The force is the high pressure. I have a mental flaw that doesn't allow
me to give proper credance to otherwise excellent work when there are
vital flaws in the physics.

3) Guesswork: I believe the marine layer provides something like a
constant source that "pumps" or maintains the high allowing a constant
flow (or fairly constant flow as we observe compared to gusty
conditions) from the high to the very large low in the Central Valley.

4) More ???...The Penninsula is so narrow that I don't think it can
store that much energy since simple observation shows clouds traveling
about 20 knots or more West to East which would sweep most hot air over
the Bay in under an hour.

Also, shouldn't it get REALL windy in Los Gatos and other areas near HWY
17 since the mtn range is much wider here than at 3rd so much more
energy can be stored? I believe the winds at Lexington are only mild.

Finially) Great Discussion! Wind "sucked" yesterday at Coyote. Speed
and direction all over the place until it completely died. Sailed
6.5/285 for about an hr. Tough in lulls but way too bumpy to take
bigger 9'6" Course Board.

Kirk (some sucks are good and others are not) out
230#

--

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Gandhi +----------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Kirk Lindstrom - CSSD Product R&D | Hewlett-Packard Co. M/S: 90UA | | Engineer/Scientist, Hardware | Communication Semiconductor | |------------------------------------| Solutions Division | | kirk_lindstrom@sj.hp.com-DeleteThis | | | Kirk Lindstrom / HP0100/UX | 370 W. Trimble Rd. | | ph 408 435 6404 | fax 408 435 6286 | San Jose, CA 95131-1096 | +----------------------------------------------------------------------+