Baja

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 09:35:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:35:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: Campsurfdawg list -- David Bartolotta <david@bartolotta.com-DeleteThis>, Clay Feeter <WTRACKSHQ@aol.com-DeleteThis>, "Colin J. Case" <102544.2240@CompuServe.COM-DeleteThis>, "Galvan, Daniel CDT " <x01397@exmail.usma.army.mil-DeleteThis>, John Egan <jregan@aloha.net-DeleteThis>, Eric Simonsen <ESSphoto@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Flash Gordon <flash@well.com-DeleteThis>, Leah Doran <vivid@surfnetusa.com-DeleteThis>, Lisa Bauer <recycqueen@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Liz Brady <floraslk@harborside.com-DeleteThis>, Edward B Doubleday <day2@interramp.com-DeleteThis>, Patrick Hamilton <mycochef@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Steve Ulrich <stevenu@unspoken.com-DeleteThis>, Wind Talkers <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Baja

Day #10
========

Dawn is hot and still, but a thick fog soon creeps up the coast from the
east, which we swear is south, but the sun doesn't lie. The tide is
extremely low, it's an easy walk out to the Big Rock. One kelp picker
works the Point, picking Iridia for japanese nori.

Annie McNeil stops by for coffee. She says it's the first time she's ever
been away from her two sons overnight. It was really tough at first but
she's getting used to it fast! The solitude, the wind, the waves...good
stuff. She's sailing a Nalu too. So Jonah, Leah, Annie, and I are Team
Nalu here.

The Order of the Day is to make the Nomad roadworthy. The plan is to put a
big block of wood (maple firewood from home) between the axle and the frame
to put things back to about where they was Before. So we move gear and
jack and block and balance and bungie, then go for a test ride. The
trailer seems to roll fine, but the tire at the lame position seems to be
taking more than it's fair share of weight. We must make adjustments.

Leah has decreed an Expression Session. This is the surfers' equivalent of
a musicians' Jam session. The twist on this one is costumes! So after
lunch everyone in our two camps is busy being artistic. Somehow I miss
the point that this is to be a sailing event. I think it's a campfire
affair, so naturally I'm working on something involving electricity! When
folks start launching in fancy rubber suits I get the picture and make some
quick adaptations. Leah sails as Catwoman, with cardboard ears and mascara
whiskers. Damien is sex monster with round balloon breasts and a 12"
erection balloon that flaps around in the wind. Tony is the Net Surfer,
decked out in fishnet vest and wig. Sean has a cardboard 10 gallon hat and
a sickshooter, Rob has clown makeup on. I just throw on my lycra
jean-print shorts, tie on a dead dolphin's rib cage as a breastplate, and
put on my Darth Vader shades, and take Tony's water camera out. I think I
got portraits of just about everyone, and I saved Leah's tail. The wind
however, was extremely light.

Light was the theme of the device I had been rigging up before the water
called. I have these two reading lights that I'm hoping to install in the
van someday, the kind that mount on a wall and shine down, but can be
swiveled in all directions. I powered these with lithium-ion video cam
batteries that were taped to the top of the lampshade, then placed one over
each of my ears and held them in place with a headband. The switches were
easily accessible and I could aim the lamps out front to light my way.
Crazy, man.

Nightime the party starts early becuase it's Rob's 26th birthday. The
tequila bottle goes around a little too fast, and by the time the Santa
Cruzers come over for the daily video review, Taking Care of Rob is the top
priority. He had to be physically dragged back from the cliff once and
blocked from approaching it several times before he finally stabilized in
the dirt. Leah produced a Costco cake, canned peaches, candles, and party
poppers! We burned the last of the imported firewood, and the 4 local
Mexican kids that help out at Camp Solo joined us. Happy birthday, Rob.

Late night was clear, dark, and starry with coyotes yipping nearby.