Re: ABK clinic report, 7/3-7/6 @ Rio Vista

From: Rick Campbell (rjcamp@slip.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 20:26:14 PDT

Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 20:26:14 -0700
From: Rick Campbell <rjcamp@slip.net-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: ABK clinic report, 7/3-7/6 @ Rio Vista

Zeev Gur wrote:

> Just got back from the ABK clinic up at Rio Vista and wanted to
> give some feedback.

My friend Jeff and I attended the clinic too & Zeev's report is right
on: the camp is great, Rio rules, getting Amstel Light as a sponsor was
a sweet move, and his daughter has potential (he was already working
with her on table tops - at the old age of six months).

Here are a few of the technique things we were working on:

* They teach a really nice jibe that is fast and looks very cool. It's
a step jibe where you keep your weight far forward, way oversheet so
that the clew crosses over the tail, and then you step forward as you
reach 6:00 to keep speed exiting out of the turn. It looks alot like a
laydown jibe, but the sail isn't leaned over quite as far. I make most
of my jibes, but I have a few adjustments to make ;-) to get their
technique down.

* We also spent some time doing light-wind work. If you didn't spend
any time on a longboard like me, it can be a little humbling. I
borrowed one of their Bic 288s to make uphauling easy and by the end of
the clinic I was making most of my tacks. BTW, they teach you to tack
before you reach 12:00 and hang out with the sail back-winded as the
board turns through the wind... which prepares you for helicopter tacks,
which are now on my list of things to work out.

* Finally, we worked on jumping for max height. They say to carve into
the ramp using your upwind technique, not by carving with your heels -
you will loose speed. You will also see people start jumping unhooked
for safety, move to staying hooked in to keep sheeted in as they gain
experience, and finally move back to jumping unhooked for freedom and
radical moves.

ABK has been working on a set (five?) of instructional videos that they
hope to have out in the future.

With these clinics, you always take a risk with the wind (will it
show?), but this one worked out great.

Rick