Predicting how long the AM-Sherman Sess will last?

From: steve shugart (steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 16 1997 - 11:09:27 PDT

From: steve shugart <steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Predicting how long the AM-Sherman Sess will last?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis (_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 97 11:09:27 PDT
Full-Name: steve shugart
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

Weathermen and Weatherwomen,

Does anyone know how to predict if the wind will hold in the AM session
at Sherman. Saturday nite I called the wind phone and is was cranking at about
25 and all nite at my house the trees were blowing which is a sure sign the
delta is humming, so I got up at 4am on Father's day, so I could get in a littlesailing and still have time for the family. At 4 am the report was 25,23,21 a
bad sign that it was dying, but having the pager I took off. I live near folsom
lake. By 5 am it was averaging only 15, turned around and bagged it. Was so tired by the afternoon, I took a nap and missed the awesome pm session, but had a
nice day with the family.

So what are the factors to consider in the am at Sherman? What can I get off
the net? How do the experts predict the am session?

Things I know
1) Pressure difference and gradient are a factor and I can get these off
Ken's data. But how to predict the change of these is a mystery to me. Usually
the pressure is increasing in the morning in Sac.

2) Fog in the bay is a good sign.

3) A cooling trend is a good sign.

4) It always lightens up towards the middle of the day.

5) We used to have great all day sessions and do runs from Sherman to
glass beach, seems like a long time ago, that we had patterns like that.

6) I think the strongest wind is sometimes in the middle of the nite, maybe
we could tap into the power poles for some lighting or get the 3rd ave golf
course to move to Sherman in response to the complaints about balls raining
on people.

Thanks
steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis