Maui 5-23/24 - Kona conditions

From: steve shugart (steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 19:05:49 PDT

From: steve shugart <steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Maui 5-23/24 - Kona conditions
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis (_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed, 28 May 97 19:05:49 PDT
Full-Name: steve shugart
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

Attempted to Sail Maui on 5/23. Very unusual whether this
year for May, it had been light all week with these fronts brewing in the
pacific, with hotel paid, decided to stop by anyway.

It was the first time I have sailed a Kona wind on the North Shore.
Sailed Lanes. It was a real learning experience to add to my
16years of windsurfing.

Learnings
1) Kona conditions make launching tough, light on inside.
2) The reef at Lanes makes it even tougher, gotta jump in and
swim the rig out, this assumes the waves are not breaking on the
inside reef.,
3) After watching several sailors attempt to launch without luck,
the swimming the rig out the rip was the way to go, the only problem
was that with the 5.5 I had rigged and low wind, waterstarting was
almost impossible. the Rip was so strong it was pulling me out to
the break, after 20 minutes of trying to waterstart I was almost out to
the break, luckily it was small 2-4', logo high stuff. the realization
of getting worked in the sets and the combination of me be farther out
in the wind allowed me to waterstart. Once I got started I was immediately
overpowered and wished I had a 5.0. To catch my breath I took a long reach
out (a big mistake in a Kona). Once out and heading back, it seemed like I
would never make it back to Lanes maybe not even Hookipa, I have no idea
whats past Hookipa.
4) I had brought my Radio and left it in the car, Jet lag must have really
dulled my sense of survival >>24 hours no sleep.
5) My legs cramped up from trying to waterstart Gastra 5.5, the 13 hours
of flying probably did not help either with water retention. My legs still
hurt 4 days later.

6) I did try to uphaul it but the waves made it real tough. It is a
good way to reposition the sail quickly.

Anyway, I made it back. Was proud that I attemped it and humbled by the
fact that some of the locals could sail those conditions with no problems.
I thought I was in shape because I could sail nukin conditions in the bay
or Rio for 3 or more hours, the reality is that I wasn't and my body was
tired, a dangerous combination, got one hell of a headache, probably from
hyperventilation. Most of the locals stayed on the shore, there were maybe
a max of 15 or so sailors between Mama's and Hookipa. Afterwards went
down to Kanaha and it looked even lighter.

The next day was even lighter, played golf and came home early.

Be Careful out there.....

Steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis
175# that day 8.8 custom with 5.5.