Re: Sherman Wed PM report, wave sails comments/question

From: JMILUM.US.ORACLE.COM (JMILUM@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 11:26:25 PDT

Date: 22 May 97 11:26:25 -0700
From: "JMILUM.US.ORACLE.COM" <JMILUM@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Sherman Wed PM report, wave sails comments/question

Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit Content-Type:text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Zeev,

I definitely agree with your general observation.

I think you got to go with a fully battened sail at a 5.7 size. The larger a
sail you are flying, the more cloth is out there, and the more room for
distortion of the foil. On my Windwing's I always found that the 3/4 batten
worked better on the smaller sizes, especially when sailing powered up. My
current 5.3 Zeta seems to get a little distortion even though it is fully
battened and is only a 5.3. Has Sheldon sold many 5.7 soft sails? I'd try to
find out how they worked before buying one.

I'd keep cambers out of the surf. I have broken a few battens when I got lazy
and didn't change my convertibles. Since Naish sails is now making camberless
race sails bigger than 6.0's I think that a well made 5.7 full battened wave
sail would work just fine.

Thanks.

Jeff Milum
Regional Manager DMD New England