Sunday @ Bezerkely

From: Zeev Gur (Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 10:00:15 PDT

From: "Zeev Gur"<Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 10:00:15 -0700
Subject: Sunday @ Bezerkely

The hot weather finally broke and I was able to
replenish my soul with some cool ocean air and a
powered up sail in my hands.

After spending Saturday hiking in Marin, mostly
in shaded area, I was in dire need of some sailing.
The plan for Sunday was some more family quality
time in Muir woods. We awoke in the late am to find
some beautiful fog shrouding the sleeping princess -
that would be the literal translation of Mt. Tam, the name
that was given to that hill by the native Indians. Actually,
if you look at the mountain from the south you can see
the profile of a woman. (a bit of local history......)

My kind wife, who is learning to sail (read: "almost
understands the need to sail all the time") could tell that
my wind was doing mental cartwheels at the notion
of going sailing. Out of nowhere over breakfast she goes:
"Hey hon, why don't you go and shred for a couple of
hours and then we will go hiking". Whoa I thought, did
the earth start spinning in the other direction? Not wanting
to pass up this once in a lifetime, I took off for Berkeley.

At 12:45, the wind looked perfectly filled in from His Lordship.
There were a few guys out on mid 5's. The fog was set up
just right - past Alcatrez and before the pier's end. I guessed
that it was going to fill in some more and went out on 5.2/8'8"
(207#). I rarely sail this combo at Berk., usually I am on a
6.2/9'6". I had a good feeling when I planed off after the
water start, and was able to smoke upwind. The swell
was just great, and the wind was perfect. Oh how wonderful
to be sailing again. I went through the opening in the pier
and got my ass kicked by the solid 4.7 wind. The fog started
to come in really fast, and around 3, sailing took on a pretty
trippy feel to it. You could not see more then 10 yards in front
of you, and yet you (at least I) were flying. I decided to call
it a day by 3:30 - no need to finish such a great day with a swim.

Oh yeah, we did wind up going to Muir Woods, and had one cool
hike. The fog coming in over the ridges made for some
spectacular visuals around sunset time. How wonderful it is to
be alive.........

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, SMILE"