Re: Fwd: Golf Ball Catalog

From: Jon Morse (jon_morse@ibex.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 15:58:35 PDT

Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:58:35 -0700
From: Jon Morse <jon_morse@ibex.com-DeleteThis>
To: "wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Golf Ball Catalog

Edward W. Scott wrote:

> With all the talk about golf balls yesterday, I thought I'd forward this
> piece of spam. The first sentence is especially funny given the
> conditions at Third. Coincidence? I think not. Obviously, anyone who
> complains about golf balls is going to have their mailbox deluged with
> spam.
>
> Not to nit-pick, but I wonder if getting hit in the head with a golf
> ball
> is really life-threatening. It must happen on golf courses all of the
> time. I got hit in the head by a pop fly in a baseball game once, and
> I'm still here to tell the tale, and I think a couple of bystanders have
> been hit at Pebble Beach by such notables as Bill Murray and George
> Bush.

I worked on a golf course for 8 years growing up, and I was hit many
times by golfers, friends aiming at me to play jokes, and even a ball
thrown out of a mower once. I think that the chance of someone being
seriously injured by a golf ball is nil. I am no worse for wear (at
least I wouldn't attribute any of my current problems/maladies with
being hit by errant golf balls).

  I do know, however, that there are alot more golfers than windsurfers
so though I'm not a regular third sailor I would urge prudence when
taking up this fight, as I do know that many government/coast
guard/other public officials think of windsurfers as kind of a nuisance
and aren't crazy about working with us.

Fore! Oh, I mean, Starboard!