Re: Board Locks vs. Insurance

From: Dave Hoagland (hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 12:15:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 12:15:34 -0700
From: Dave Hoagland <hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Board Locks vs. Insurance

Luigi Semenzato wrote:

> I can see only two reasons for buying insurance.
>
> 1. You know you are at higher risk than the insurance company thinks.
> Then, if the risk is high enough (say, riskier than the chance of a
> meteorite falling on your head), it's a good deal for you.
>
> 2. You cannot self-insure, because your cash flow is tight and there's
> no room for sudden losses.
>
> Personally I've always bought as little insurance as I could and tried
> to save money instead. ---Luigi

Insurance companies are not interested in windsurfing gear per se. To
them it's just personal property like a camera or anything else left in
your car, unless it's specifically a boat policy.

What is self-insure? You mean eat a loss of $3000 or more? It would
take 12 years for me to pay that much in premiums for renters insurance
on a $50,000 coverage. Get the broadest possible coverage, you might as
well cover your ski gear and everything else while you're at it. Mine
got ripped off at Squaw 2 years ago. Covered.
We now live in a society that is full of thieves. By the way I don't
sell insurance but ask any financial professional, they will tell you
that insurance is basic, get it before spending money on investments
etc. Ever hear of penny wise, pound foolish? Well, I promise this will
be the last of my preaching on this topic.

Dave Hoagland /H\ /H\
email: hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis ___/_H_\/_H_\____
                                  H H