Re: Board Locks

From: Dave Hoagland (hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 10:15:14 PDT

Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 10:15:14 -0700
From: Dave Hoagland <hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Board Locks

Dan Farmer wrote:

> Another point worth mentioning is insurance. A few years ago, State Farm
> changed their policy and began to cover windsurfing gear under their boat
> policies. Full replacement (not depreciated value) coverage of two boards,
> quiver of five sails, three masts, blah, blah, blah is costing me $100 per year
> with a $100 deductible. If they're stolen off/out of the car it's covered. If
> I ditch a rig it's covered.
>
> Hope this helps-
> -df

Insurance is the ultimate defense against thievery. Of the three people
I know with Toyota vans, every one had their vans stolen. Every one got
the van back minus the gear. Only one had a good renters policy that
covered her gear at replacement cost. She is now happily sailing on
better gear than before with extra money in the bank. That's a better
deal than she would have gotten by unloading everything at the swap
meet. The same thing has happened to me in the past. I don't know why
anybody would expose $3000 to $10000 worth of gear to the risk of theft.
If you leave stuff on or in a car eventually it will be stolen. A few
hundred dollars up front will save you a lot of grief. That's less than
the price of a good boom for a years coverage. Get insurance and then
never worry about leaving your gear out of sight again. Well, you might
miss a good day or two...

--
Dave Hoagland                    /H\  /H\
email: hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis   ___/_H_\/_H_\____