Board Locks

From: Ken Poulton (poulton)
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 16:28:47 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 16:28:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton>
To: wind_talk
Subject: Board Locks

Since two people have asked so far...

> What do you lock the cable to on the boards (through footstraps, finbox,
> etc.,...)? ...and do you have your boards in boardbags?

For older std-box boards there is a locking doodad you can buy that goes
in the opening behind the fin. For through-the-board finboxes, you need
the lock thingie that goes over the finscrew. The fin stays in the board in
both cases. When the cable goes through the thingie, the screw is
hidden. Before those were available, I made my own with same principle
from a 3" x 3/4" stainless strap with three holes (from West Marine)
bent into a U shape. The finscrew goes into the bottom of the U and the
cable passes thru the two ends sticking up.

I keep my boards in DaKine reflective bags. I found that non-reflective
bags lasted about four months. The reflective ones are lasting 3-4 years.

"It was the least I could do, which, of course, is what I strive for."
                                        -- Dave Barry