Re: Sunday at Waddell

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 22:33:38 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 01:33:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Sunday at Waddell

<< Davenport on the way home, and it looked fantastic - lots of overhead
     waves, and breaking all over the place (upwind, downwind, and in
     between). More crowded than I'd ever seen - almost rigged up, but just
     too tired. Did anyone sail Davenport yesterday - how was it?>>

Yeah! you said it. Davenport was as good as I've sailed it. The North break
was very clean and machine like. The wind was kind of side-off so the water
was real smooth. The South Break was going off Bigtime. The wild west was
exploding in white thunderous crescendos and a few cowboys were really
shooting em' up. Paul got caught in one finale and the wave blew a hole in
his sail. I tagged along with him until he made it safe into the beach where
he walked his stuff back.

The sailing was GREAT. Give that ole time South Swell. Its better than
religion. Hell, it is Religion. When the swell is around 270 degrees and
longer than 14 seconds you know its going to be good.

The place was crowded. A little local disgust with the crowds, but
everything was pretty cool. I think a lot of Gorge people and Sacto folks
were there from the contest. There were so many waves that I always had a
wave to myself and clear passage down the line. Maybe all these sailors
forgot or don't know about all the shark attacks that have been at Davenport.
 There have been more incidents there than any one place on the coast within
the last several years. The park people even put up a warning sign next to
the typical posted warnings about undertows and stuff.

TD