Re: Adj Harness Lines?

From: Booker C. Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 11:13:29 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:13:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Booker C. Bense" <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Adj Harness Lines?

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Bob Galvan wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 1997 RZM1%Rates%FAR@go50.comp.pge.com-DeleteThis wrote:
>
> > I am looking for recommendations regarding adjustable harness lines.
>

> I recommend you get some.
>

> I have North and ShredTech. Both good. Look for a loop you can pull to
> quickly and easily to flip the buckle up when you want to lengthen the lines.
> Shorter is easy to do, longer is often difficult while sailing.
> Also look for an exposed knot at one (or 2) ends so you can really get it
> dialed in to where it works for you.

- I've tried different adjustable lines over the years and have yet to
find any that work worth beans. My latest attempt was the new DaKine
adjustables with the funny loop/buckle thing. Similar design to the
shredtech. They all "adjust" when you don't want them to. I have some
homemade "adjustable" lines that actually work, the draw back is that
it's hard to find the strap parts to go on the boom and the lines are
heavier than standard. Here's an ascii version of how the lines work

        =====8=========8==== -Boom
             O |
            / \ |
            | | |
            A | |
             \ | |
              \| |
               B |
                \ /
                 \===/

- O is a metal ring through which the harness line goes.

- A is a fisherman's knot joining the 8mm harness line to some thin
    outhaul line in a loop.

- B is a prussic knot with the thin outhaul around the harness.

- If anyone is interested I'll try and put a better picture on my web
page tommorrow. The knots can be found in any decent knot book or a
rockclimbing or caving book. If you remember dopey James Bond movies,
there's one scene where he's hanging on a rope in midair. He uses his
shoelaces to form a knot to climb the rope. The knot he uses is a
prussic. It's what rockclimbers used before jumars were invented.
Unlike buckles, the knot holds better the more you load it.

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@stanford.edu-DeleteThis