Re: Where is Mokuleia ?

From: Dave Hoagland (hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 09:53:44 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:53:44 -0700
From: Dave Hoagland <hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Where is Mokuleia ?

RZM1%Rates%FAR@go50.comp.pge.com-DeleteThis wrote:

> I am pretty sure the site on COTW is the Mokuleia on Oahu west of
> Haleiwa. Since the late 80's there has been a lot of windsurfing
> activity centered around Mokuleia Beach Park which is right across
> the road from Dillingham Field. There is excellent cross-on
> wavesailing in the spring and early summer. Good (5.5 to 6.0) slalom
> conditions continue through the rest of summer (the waves get quite
> small after June). On a good day there will be 20 or 30 sailors out.
> ===
Yeah that's the place. The road used to end just past the beach park,
then it was jeep trail around Kaena Point. The reason it was jeep trail
was some of the worlds biggest waves hit Kaena Pt and rip everything to
shreds every winter. They were considered unridable at the time, the
coast is all rocks and reef past the beach park. The park was a preserve
and you were not allowed to spearfish or take lobster so we seldom dove
there. Mokuleia always seemed to me to be the most isolated and
uncrowded area on Oahu. It was great! At that time the only thing on
Maui of note was a colony of hippies living in tree houses on a bananna
plantation. The whole surf scene revolved around the north shore of Oahu
in the winter.

If anybody gets a chance to sail this spot check out the beach behind
the Polo field, which is next to the Mokuleia Beach Colony several miles
before you get to the Beach park. This was always the best surf spot
with inner and outer reefs crankin huge waves all winter. There is a
channel thru the inner reef with a rip thru it that will take you right
out thru 15ft surf, no problem. The outer reef would get truly
terrifying. The access is not very obvious, there used to be a cattle
gated dirt road just east of the Polo grounds. This was all still the
situation last time I visited the place in 1983.

Thanks COTW for the memories and the great web site!