RE: Assesing conditions

From: dveach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 16:40:11 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 97 16:40:11
From: dveach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis
Subject: RE: Assesing conditions
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

>I'm new to the bay area, and would like to start sailing at 3rd Ave or
>Coyote on my way home from work.
>
>What are the best criteria for assessing the conditions there in the
>afternoon? Ken Poulton's wind report seems comprehensive, but I don't
>know what buoys, etc. are relevant, and what the right numbers and
>clues are. How about the wind talkers? Other wind report web-sites?
>Are there general weather trends that are good/bad?
>
>I guess this will come with experience, but I'm just looking for some
>rules-of-thumb to get going!
>
> -Ron Klopfer

One of my favorite tools is the Call of the Wind page at
http://www.windcall.com/reports/ it shows you current conditions at a
lot of the sites around the bay and coast and graphs with wind direction
(for 3rd and Coyote n/nw is usually the preferred direction with an ebb
tide for the ramps) Ken's report also has the coyote and 3rd (soon)

Probably the best indicator for those two sites is the fog coming
throught the San Bruno Gap. If you have any way to see that then you can
usually bet it's blowing. There used to be a traffic camera (on the KPIX
channel 5 web page I think) the pointed up 101 towards the gap and you
could see the fog on it sometimes. Don't know if it's still there.

Try calling SFO (415)877-3585 pilot info. updated every hour.

If the wind is Southerly for 3rd/Coyote somtimes there is a good
off-shore at Candlestick or Oyster Pt. Flatwater speed runs!

You'll probably get lots of replies on this one with more good info. -dv
Dave <veach@lanquest.com-DeleteThis>

A bad day on the water
       still beats a good day at work