Re: Third report for Tuesday

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 09 1997 - 08:15:33 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 08:15:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jim Paugh <James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Third report for Tuesday
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

> I got on the water at 5pm on a 4.7 Sailworks Revo, rigged as flat as I
> could get it. I still got blown off of the water. However the Revo
> handled great OP'd. This was my first time on this sail as I picked
> it up this weekend at the swap.
>
> Stephan was fully powered on a 3.5, as was Jim Paugh on a 4.1 (?). We
> all sailed way out in the channel for some time. It was survival
> sailing out there.

I was on a 4.0, rigged flat and my 8'6". When I launched, I left room for an
extra inch of outhaul, to pull flat if I needed it. I needed it. Fully
powered, even got lifted off the water a couple of times. Swells were huge,
over head high, and very smooth!

> The wind was still blowing when I got off the water at 7pm.

The wind really started ripping after dark.

BTW, great job by the coast guard auxillary, Ken Poulton and the other
windsurfers who helped out with the rescue of the three windsurfers who broke
down. And of course, the CG guys on the boat dealing with the wicked
conditions were the true heros of the day! Harry Walther broke a mast and
spent 3.5 hours trying to paddle in. He never escaped the pull of the ebb in
the channel. Harold (don't remember his last name) broke the head cap on his
sail, right in front of the CG boat looking for Harry (what luck)! The last
windsurfer, Ken (don't remember his last name) was picked up around 8pm, he
had a strobe with him, so the coast guard was able to spot him.

Glad to have everyone home!

~Jim Paugh