changes for swap ads on 3rd ave web site

From: Bob Colopy (bobco@aloha.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Mar 24 1997 - 14:44:39 PST

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:44:39 -1100
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Bob Colopy <bobco@aloha.net-DeleteThis>
Subject: changes for swap ads on 3rd ave web site

Hi all,

I run the 3rd ave web site and swap ad pages. Over the last year I have
received some good inputs for improvement. Ideally I would like to make it
so anyone registered on the site (for accountability control purposes) with
a password can post or remove an ad automatically by sending an email or
filling out a form on this web site. Each ad would have a number and each
user would have their own password so only they can remove their own ads.
The ads would be placed in a calendar structure so you know when placed and
how old they are. Ads would be automatically deleted in 90 days. Now I do it
manually and only delete ads when the poster requests it. Since I do not
have the time or skill to set this automated system up I decided on a
simpler method which is still manual but easier to administer.

All ads will be removed next week and a new system implemented. Ads will no
longer appear on each person's page. Rather ad pages will be organized by
month and each monthly page will post entire but brief email ads sent to
swap@funfix.com.-DeleteThis There will be no organization as to type of item sold or
needed such as sails, boards, etc. since there are not that many current ads
at any one time. It is up to the poster to provide their web address on the
3rd ave site if the buyer wants to know more about the seller. A form will
be provided on the 3rd ave site to help posters and buyers organize their
ads for easy readability and consistency. Also, the swap ads will be opened
up to all windsurfers in the Bay Area not just those registered with web
pages on the 3rd ave site. This will increase the volume and hopefully make
it more useful. I will be doing a similar thing here on Maui later this
summer which might be useful for those visiting on vacation and who might
want alternatives to renting.

Let me know what you think.

Also, if anyone wants to build the automated system I could work an
arrangement for free lodging here on Maui as my guest for a week. I'm
looking to buy a place here and it will be close to the windsurfing. As you
know all the windsurfing web and swap page postings both in the Bay Area and
later here are offered free as a community service so any help with the
automated technology goes for a good cause. In the past many have offered to
show me how I could write my own CGI and other "simple" programs but I found
it too difficult and time consuming. Therefore I've given up trying to do it
myself. I need a turnkey solution which will run on Best Internet's system
(where funfix.com is located). Once it is up and running it can be
transferred to my funfix domain.

Aloha,

Bob
bobco@aloha.net-DeleteThis