Re: realistic times to baja

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Mar 19 1997 - 19:36:54 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:36:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: realistic times to baja

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, JMILUM.US.ORACLE.COM wrote:

> I am trying to find out what the real drive time is to SC in Baja. I have
> recieved some suspect feedback (too optomistic I think).
>
> Has anyone done that drive lately? How long did it really take?

I have gone every May for the last 6 years, and I take notes just so I
can answer these questions.

SF to border is 500 miles, takes 10 hours.
Border to SC is 300 miles, takes 10 hours.

The reality drive includes dinner at Harris Ranch, a last chance grocery
stop somewhere in SD, insurance + pesos in San Ysidro, breakfast at Hotel
Palomar, clam cocktails in San Qintin, and topping off fuel and liquor in
El Rosario.

Average time on the dirt road is 2.5 hours. It can be done in 2, but it
really beats up the passengers and usually breaks something. Lower you
tire pressure, slow down and enjoy the desert. We always stop for a
flagpole or firewood or fotos, or to dig up or bury some treasure for/from
lasttime/nextime.

via con Dios,
kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis