Re: sailing the waves

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Mar 19 1997 - 19:21:31 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:21:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: sailing the waves

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, mcneil wrote:

> Any suggestions for a beginner wave sailor in northern California. I can't
> make the journey to the west coast of Baja until next spring and I want to
> learn about wave sailing now. I live near Bodega Bay and have been reading
> about Wadell, Tuba and the new sandbar etc. and Palo Marin. I don't want to
> get hammered too bad in the surf (at least not the first few times), so
> which of these places would offer the best conditions for a beginner?
> Thanks, Annie

Well Tuba definitely has long, straight waves with deeper water inside so
you don't get sucked into the shorebreak. The question is, "Can you get
there?" If you can, the wave is very condusive to learning or shredding.
You just put yourself wherever on the wave that feels right to you. The
new bar at Limantour was quite user-friendly last time around on a minus
tide, but you gotta watch out for the shorebreak, it can break stuff.

Millerton Point in Tomales is a real sloppy kinda wave, but it's safe,
warm, and closer for you. I think you should put Millerton at the top
of your list.

kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis