Re: Crissy Conditions

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue May 07 1996 - 04:29:09 PDT

Subject: Re: Crissy Conditions
Date: Tue, 7 May 96 11:29:09 -0000
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind Talk" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

>I was sailing in the middle of the bay on a full plane, slightly op when a
>sea
>lion (not a seal, he must have been 8-10' long and big) popped his head up
>directly in my path about 2 board lengths in front of me(close enough to
>smell!). He was too close to take evasive actions at that speed so all I was
>able to do was SCREAM at the top of my lungs. It would have been hilarious
>get a picture of me shitting in my pants and the look of surprised look on
>the sea lion's face.

I also saw a very large sea lion at Crissy on Saturday dive just upwind
(10-20') of me out in the channel on Saturday. He wasn't directly in my
path, though. Maybe it was the same guy.

>Luckily, he managed to dive before I hit him, I was
>impressed with how such a big creature could move so fast when there was
>impending death ;)
>Needless to say, if I did happen to hit him, there could have been grave
>consequences....probably would have broken my finbox/board or some ribs as I
>got rag-dolled over the front.

Something about flopping around in the water with a 800 lb. mammal that
you just hit also doesn't sound like fun.

Call me crazy, but I have a funny feeling these animals are far more
aware of what's going on on and under the water than we do. I don't know
if it's the sound of the board hitting the water or what, but twice (in
the same session no less, but on different reaches) I almost ran over at
least two 3' diameter sea turtles at Spreckelsville on Maui. Every time
I thought a collision was imminent (only 20' in front of me on a full-on
plane), they dove down just in time for me to miss them. It was just as
you said, they moved far faster than I thought possible for an animal of
that size, especially a turtle. When I first saw them I thought they
were part of the reef, and being about a mile out, the prospect of a
blown finbox was not something I was looking forward to.

     Ed Scott ShrEdding SF Bay
     shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis ..Windwing/ASD..