Yep, there is a Windy spot north of Rio

From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sat Mar 23 1996 - 09:00:59 PST

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 12:00:59 -0500
From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Yep, there is a Windy spot north of Rio

> Has anyone else noticed that the wind model for the Bay Area shown
> at:
>
> http://sfbay7.wr.usgs.gov/~jonathan/wind.html
>
> always has a point of very strong wind activity about 50 miles
> northwest of Rio? Does anyone understand why wind would concentrate
> there, and is there anything sailable in that area?

I have in my files for my new version of the S.F. Windsurfing Guide. A
"secret" speed sailing site (M...Speed Zone) close to the indicated area.
 The launch is easy and the sailing is best on those days when Sherman Island
is raging. The local folks are not especially friendly to windsurfers. I
don't yet have permission from the local sailors to give its exact location
but it is easy to find. Just check out a map and do some driving. For me it's
not worth the drive just for speed sailing.

Mike Godsey
Windnotes WEB Publishing,
http://metro.net/~go/fishing.html