Pillar Point Shredfest

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jan 19 1996 - 10:11:16 PST

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 10:11:16 -0800
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Edward W. Scott)
Subject: Pillar Point Shredfest

>any reports from sailors?
>

>Jeff

Left the office at 11:00 am after seeing that the 10:00 PP report was south
at 22. Pressure was dropping, so it was clear it was building. Got there
at 11:30, and parked in the mud puddle. Started rigging 4.6 to be safe on
the west side of the pier, and others were rigging 4.2-5.2. It built big
time.

Guys were op'd on 4.2's. People started coming back in to re-rig. I
decided to then rig my 4.0 on the beach. Big mistake. After several
false starts (can't find my batten, where's my camber inducer, damn, the
downhaul is crossed, forgot my towel, where's my helmet), I finally managed
to get the 4.0 up. Heck if it isn't missing the top batten. #@)%@!
There it is 10 feet away. Let me just prop my sail up and just go over and
grab it. Remember last year when someone's sail took off, flew over a
building and landed in a tree? Well, the wind gods claimed another victim.
My 4.0 was grabbed, and landed on a fence post just off the beach totally
destroying the bottom panel. At that point, the wind was really raging,
everyone was re-rigging, and the bullets, I mean, rain, started really
coming down. It was getting on 1:00, I had a 3:30 meeting to attend, and
it appeared that someone was trying to tell me something, so I packed up
and headed home.

When I left at around 1:30 pm about half a dozen guys were out, there was
6" chop in the harbor, and it was 3.5 or better in a driving rain storm. I
saw a couple other wind_talkers there, so if they aren't lurking today,
maybe they can give you an on-water report. As for me, I'm keeping my
fingers crossed for Sunday.

     Ed Scott ShrEdding SF Bay
     shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis ..Windwing/ASD..