Re: Winter sailing

From: Luigi Semenzato (luigi@fiat.its.berkeley.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jan 18 1996 - 23:52:52 PST

From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@fiat.its.berkeley.edu-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Winter sailing
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 23:52:52 -0800

> What type of wetsuit or drysuit is necessary for sailing the bay,
> Crissy and the ocean this time of year? Is a good fitting 4/3 and a
> hood sufficient? Is a 5mm too bulky, or is it better to get a
> drysuit? I'd also like advice on manufactures/models to look for or
> avoid. Thanks.

In the past I have sailed on the Bay during winter storms with a 4/3
O'Neill semidry, 3mm booties, and hood (probably also 3 or 4 mm). I
don't recall feeling cold, except the hands, but you get used to that.
I have felt MUCH colder skiing in foul weather.

I don't know about the Bay, but I recall reading that the average
water temperature along the coast is two (!) degrees (F) lower in the
winter than in the summer. In fact, in my experience winter storm
sailing in the Bay is not really much colder than summer sailing at
Waddell.

However, I think I sailed only with south winds. I would expect the
air temperature to be quite a bit lower with north winds. ---L

P.S. I am a bit of a temperature weenie. I don't like being cold,
and I use my 4/3 year round.