Maui Report (Nov 15-26)

From: steve shugart (steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Dec 29 1995 - 13:33:03 PST

From: steve shugart <steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Maui Report (Nov 15-26)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis (_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 95 13:33:03 PST
Full-Name: steve shugart
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

Here is a much belated Maui report. Have a great new year!.........Steve

I think the Sailing conditions in Maui have been decribed pretty well by
Eric & .others. I managed to Sail 5 Days during the 10 Days while I was there
1, Sprecks, 2 Kanaha, 2 in Kihei. The wind was light and I adjusted my rental
equipment accordingly, used 8'8" the first day when it was really big at Sprecks.
The next two days were much lighter and I used a Coppell Salom board, with a
5.7 Niash Nalu or 6.2 Mistral Race, This was really a compromise for the wave
sailing, but I was able to plane and catch the waves. For Kihei I used a Mistral
Exlposion 128 Liters and sailed for several hours with the Turtles. Practiced
my tacks and reef dodging skills.

Things learned on 3 rd trip to Maui.

1) Always ask where the break is in the reef in Kihei and pay attention to the
tides. It is safer to launch at the park in the north end of Kihei than in
front of the Maui sunset and condos around it.

2) There is a web site in Maui that has the past 5 years of wind data for
each month http://www.maui.net/~mauiwind/MWR/mwr.html

3) When surfing fall flat on the water, to avoid hitting the reef. (You surfers
may have more insight on this, I'm a novice)

4) The Windsight reports were ok, I sailed on days that they said it wouldn't
be sailable.

5) If you rent I have found the insurance to be a fair deal. It seems I always
manage to put some type of hole in the board, during the trip.

6) On the first day the 17th, the waves were big and nasty and the wind was
light for the 5.2 I was sailing. I sailed way out of Sprecks and blew my jibe,
it took me 10-15 minutes to waterstart. It was really stupid to sail so far
out by myself in such a large swell. Stay close enough so you can swim in.
On a large swell like that the tops of the waves were breaking off leaving
4-5 of whitewater to deal with, during the waterstarts.

On the first day at Sprecks, there were some sailors sailing upwind about a
mile or so and way out. The waves must have been double mast high. You could
see the Helicopter was below the top of the wave and the sailors looked real
small on the faces. It will probably be in the next video.

The new Naish video R.I.P. is great. Some of the music doesn't work for me
but Robby sailing monster waves is awesome.

All in all it was a perfect family vacation, dad got a little sailing in and
everyone had a great time. Everyone I met there was great.

steves@malik.rose.com.hp-DeleteThis
178lbs and lots of rental equipment this trip.