Pacific Ocean Wind Readings

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Dec 20 1995 - 12:42:38 PST

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Pacific Ocean Wind Readings
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 12:42:38 -0800 (PST)

> On Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:58:35 PST Will Estes wrote:
> > Take a look at this web page:
> >
> > http://www.vcnet.com/goldcoastwx/examples/nev/day0.gif
> >
> > It contains an image of the entire Pacific region and shows in very
> > useful detail precisely where the strongest winds are. A version of
> > this for the California coast would be awesome during summer.
>
> Yes, those are very useful images. They cover much more of the pacific
> than the SF State site does (http://squall.sfsu.edu/weather_CA/NP_press.htm).
> Great for watching the NPH durring the summer, and tracking storms in
> the winter, and probably for predicting swell (although you can get
> swell information free from Scripps I believe).

Jack, you have me thinking now. What if we could get this image
several times a day and run the frames into a movie? Now you would be
able to see high wind patterns literally sweep across the Pacific and
head over the California coast. This probably only makes sense for
systemic patterns, rather than the normal Summer pattern, but it would
still be nice to have.

> Unfortunately it is a commercial site. He charges about $5.00 a
> month. I've checked with the government agency from which he buys the
> images. It costs $100/mo + about $45/mo connect time (not including
> phone charges) to get the information.

I'd be in for $10/month from April through October.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150