Baja? -Reply

From: Ben Cristi (BENJAMIN_CRISTI@novell.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Dec 04 1995 - 11:48:30 PST

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 11:48:30 -0800
From: BENJAMIN_CRISTI@novell.com-DeleteThis  (Ben Cristi)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Baja? -Reply

>>> Tom Slattery <TSlattery@macromedia.com-DeleteThis> 12/04/95 08:30am >>>
Can anyone provide any info on Baja?
If you drive, get your tourist cards and Mexican auto insurance in
advance. Buy pesos in San Ysidro before crossing the border, you'll get
the best rates there. Mexican gas stations and small businesses
generally don't accept travelers checks or credit cards. Take a vehicle
that can run on regular unleaded, or, bring a case of octane booster.

When are the best months to go?
Sea of Cortez side, Nov? - Feb
Pacific (wave sailing), Mar - Oct

and How hard does it blow?
Sea of Cortez, ???
Pacific, 3.0 - 5.5

Is there wave sailing near Cabo San Lucas?
None that I know of. Punta Abreojos is the southernmost "good" wave
saiing spot I know of.

Is the drive really 20 hours? or should you just fly and rent?
>From Sunnyvale, it's a 8-9 hour drive just to the border (~460 miles).
>From the border to Punta San Carlos it's 9-10 hours, and the last 40 miles
are dirt (passable by car as of a year ago).

To other wavesailing spots between Punta San Carlos and Guerro
Negro, it's best to drive with a group of vehicles (at least 2), at least one
a 4x4, all with decent ground clearance, bring some vehicle recovery
stuff in case you get stuck, and be totally self sufficient. There are no
signs so brushing up on your navigational skills wouldn't hurt.

>From the border to Cabo, 20 - 24 hours. If you have no desire to see
other parts of Baja, fly, don't drive. If it doesn't blow, you can rent or pay
for other activities.

The only thing I've heard is when you go down there, bring surfboards,
bikes, kayaks, atvs in case there is no wind. thanks tom

Have fun, and post a report when you return.

Ben