Re: A little off-season humor :)

From: Luigi Semenzato (luigi@fiat.its.berkeley.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Nov 01 1995 - 22:57:19 PST

From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@fiat.its.berkeley.edu-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: A little off-season humor :)
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 1995 22:57:19 -0800

> I think this is called an Urban Legend. As I understand it,
> this never happened at a Neiman-Marcus Cafe but that the cookie recipe
> is pretty good. I first read it last year at about this time of year.
> Funny story none the less.
>
> Maybe Luigi know something about it?

Not only it's an Urban Legend, but it's also a Computer Virus. It
keeps sneaking into my mailbox through the most devious paths.

A newspaper did some research on one of the various versions, and
found several inconsistencies, for instance the Neiman Marcus store in
Dallas doesn't have a cafe. (Just like Union City doesn't have access
to the Bay).

For a good source of urban legends, check The vanishing hitchhiker :
American urban legends and their meanings / Jan Harold Brunvand. 1st
ed. New York : Norton, c1981. I don't think he has this one though.

The latest urban legend I have heard is about the astronaut Neil
Armstrong. This was reported to me as a true story, but I'll let you
judge.

Apparently, Armstrong said several things in the few seconds before he
set foot on the moon, but only the `small step for a man, etc' part is
generally reported. One of the other things he said is `Good luck,
Mr. Johnson'.

Armstrong later gave a (private) explanation. Mr. Johnson was one of
his neighbors when he was a kid. One hot summer evening, Armstrong
was playing near the Johnsons' open bedroom window when he heard: `You
want a blow job? I'll give you a blow job when the kid next door goes
to the moon!'

Wait... is this what Michael meant when he asked if I know something
about it? Now wait a minute...