Re: Windsight

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Oct 23 1995 - 10:47:19 PDT

Subject: Re: Windsight
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 10:47:19 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

I've been using windsight for two seasons now. I think it is a worthwhile
service, even tho Mike has been somewhat off concerning the Peninsula the last
few weeks. I, like Steve, use it here in the bay area to primarily make
macroscopic decisions between: crissy, peninsula, east bay, rio.

I think the overall accuracy of the penin forecasts would be increased if we
had someone of Mike's caliber local and dedicated to the region specifically.
He's in the Northbay and accordingly he's going to have crissy & the north
bay/coast more wired.

But notwithstanding the forecast aspect, remember they have sensors all over
here and yon, and so I very seldom struggle with calling the airport line
anymore cuz I can get current windspeeds all over the place without waiting.
And that is really handy.

I also use windsight when I'm in the Gorge. and seeing that I spent three weeks
up there this last season, it came in really handy.

Not saying they are prefect -- I'd really like to see a solid, consistent
peninsula correspondent for the money I'm spending, but I wouldn't dismiss the
service.

Jeff