Re: (Fwd) re:it's already windy

From: Booker C. Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 28 1995 - 12:08:49 PDT

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:08:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Booker C. Bense" <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: (Fwd) re:it's already windy

On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Paul Delzio wrote:

> Bay Bridge - 80 West - Richmond Exit - first exit (I think its Central Ave) -
> drive to end at voila. BTW - DON'T PARK IN THE BUS ZONE...
>

> Can anyone fill me in about the access at Pt. Isabel (location, launch
> site, low tide problems, submerged obstacles)? I have never sailed there, but
> would like to try on Friday or Saturday.

- The only problem at Isabel is the rocks right near the launch. I've
never had any other "groundings". If you out into the water until
you're about chest deep and water start, you should have no problems.
There are some old piers behind the island, but there's a wind shadow
there so it's unlikely you'll sail in that spot. Weeds can sometimes
be a problem, but they seem to have died back from the colder water.

- There is usually a wind line about 1/2 mile out. Unless it's really
windy in close, I try and use a size larger fin than I use at 3rd.
The wind line moves out as the day goes on so and it can die suddenly.
Keep an eye open and you should get back soon enough to avoid the slog.
Peak time lately seems to be about 4pm, shutoff at 6pm.

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis