Theft at 3rd Ave Tuesday 9/26

From: Jim Paugh (jpaugh%jurassic@Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Sep 26 1995 - 23:29:44 PDT

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 23:29:44 -0700
From: jpaugh%jurassic@Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Theft at 3rd Ave Tuesday 9/26

A friend of mine just had her purse stolen out of the trunk of her car
at 3rd Ave! I'm posting this as a warning to all 3rd sailors to be more
carefull about locking up. It appears that the security issue is
becoming a problem.

The circumstance of the theft is pretty unbelievable. Her purse was in
the trunk of her car, with her pager attached to the purse. She new it
was there after she got out of the water, because the pager was giving
periodic chirps, due to pending pages. The last she heard the chirps
was while she changed out of her wetsuit. She then drove the car over
to park closer to the rigging area, next to the pathway through the
fence. She then went to derig her sail, and thought she had closed the
trunk. Apparently, something in the trunk got in the way of the latch,
and the trunk didn't lock. It was shut, but not latched. She went back
5-10 minutes later to load her equipment, and noticed that she no
longer heard the pager chirping. Further investigation proved that the
trunk lid was not latched and the purse was gone! This took place on
Tuesday, after sailing, between 7:00-7:30pm. There were maybe 10-15
sailors left packing up.

We thought maybe it had gotten buried under some junk, so we tried
sending a page to the pager, hoping we could hear it in the car, but to
no avail.

If anyone has any information, please feel free to contact me at the
email address or phone numbers listed below. Again, I just wanted to
give everyone a "heads up" about this growing problem.

Jim Paugh email: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis
ONC Technologies phone: (415) 336-4466
SunSoft fax: (415) 336-6015