Re: "Mission control, we have a problem"

From: Michael Schuh (schuh@apm-iris1.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Sep 18 1995 - 10:17:16 PDT

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:17:16 -0700
From: schuh@apm-iris1.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Michael Schuh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: "Mission control, we have a problem"

I once had my mast box blow out on an old board. A friend of mine
was sailing the old board at the time. He started to derig. I decided to see
if we could figure out how to sail the board in. Sure enough, I was
able to tie my tow line in a loop around the nose of the board and then
to the foot straps. The loop was small enough so that it would not
slide down the board and the three lines (2 from the loop and one going
to the center foot strap bolt) converged at the blown mast box.
I tied the mast base to this convergence of lines and was able to sail
in. My friend had only been sailing for a few months so I gave him
my rig to sail in. The mast base slid around but stayed on top
of the board. I probably could have tied a line from the convergence
to the outer end of the windward foot strap to cut down on the sliding
but I did not do this.

In short, it was a quick fix and allowed me to sail in.

Schuh

========
Michael J. Schuh, MS 237-2 | schuh@apm-iris1.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis
NASA Ames Research Center | Phone: (415) 604-1460
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000 | FAX: (415) 604-6990