Re: (Fwd) Re: The ultimate safety kit

From: Geoffrey.Boehm@wj.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Sep 15 1995 - 12:02:05 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 12:02:05 -0700
From: Geoffrey.Boehm@wj.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: The ultimate safety kit
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

     I can't decide if these replies are more offensive or stupid - they
     are certainly plenty of both.

     To begin with the stupid, not one in 10 bay sailors can swim back from
     3 miles out in seas greater than 2 feet with rubber on. When I was on
     swim team in high school, I MIGHT have been able to do so, but I doubt
     it. At 47, I damn well know I can't. Which at least gives me some
     advantage over those under 30 who think they can. At some point in
     life we all have to learn the body has limits that can't be overcome
     by sheer will power. I learned this lesson around 40, which was kinda
     late. Fortunately, that was after I began sailing, or I probably
     wouldn't have taken up the sport.

     Moving on to the offensive, who are you to define the criteria for
acceptance in "your" sport? You sound like my mother, who always warned me not
to try things I might fail at. If I die sailing because I put myself into a
situation I can't extricate myself from, that's MY problem, not yours. In fact,
I sincerely HOPE to die sailing. We're all mortal (another lesson that takes a
while to learn), and have to die some way. I've come close enough to death
through disease to know I'd much rather drown. Thank God I'm no longer too young
to die. I suppose this will trigger lots of idiotic babble about how my
irresponsible behavior will endanger the image of the sport, and my death
(already a foregone conclusion) will result in numerous restrictive laws to
hamper windsurfers after I'm gone. Oh well - I can't worry about that - it's
already blowing 19 at Waddell, and I've got better things to do.