The ultimate safety kit -Reply

From: Tom Slattery (TSlattery@macromedia.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 14 1995 - 13:06:29 PDT

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 13:06:29 -0700
From: Tom Slattery <TSlattery@macromedia.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject:  The ultimate safety kit -Reply

Regarding the impact zone, many-a-times I have found myself in the
impact zone after my leash snapped on my surfboard at Ocean Beach,
some the nastiest beach break in the world. At first you panic, but
then you realize to stay calm and dive under the waves, and swim in
or body surf in.

Having a pfd on may prevent you from cleaning diving under the wave.
I have also heard pfd's slow you down when swimming for your rig. My 2
cents.

Crissy Wednesday - Sailed 5-7:30 fully powered on a 5.7 8'10/96
liters 185 lbs.
Last one on the water except for the three people sailing under the
bridge. With a 4 knot Ebb, either these guys/girls are really
confident sailors or didn't check their tide books ~before~ going
out.

Tom Slattery

>>> <Geoffrey.Boehm@wj.com-DeleteThis> - 9/14/95 10:37 AM >>>
     Talk all you want about how to fix various equipment failures -
none
     of the solutions will address the following problems, which are
my
     three greatest fears:

     1. Losing my equipment in the impact zone, and drowning when I
run out
     of energy before I can swim to shore

     2. Wind dies when I am too far out

     3. Losing my board and rig in high winds after a bailout, and
unable
     to swim fast enough to catch up.

     I carry an inflatable pfd - comes in a tiny pouch that you wear
around
     your waist - which helps with (1), and will at least keep me
afloat
     long enough if (3) occurs so I can die of hypothermia instead of

     drowning.

     I guess the marine radio is the ultimate solution, but what I'd
really
     like is a pair of swim fins that were small enough to carry on
my
     body, yet big enough to be functional. This seems impossible,
given
     the fins that I have seen for scuba or snorkeling, but I wonder
if
     anyone knows of any that are a good compromise. These would also
be
     extremely useful in non-life threatening situations such as when

     swimming out to the windline and back in when the wind dies.