Re: Tiga 254 as wave board

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Sep 11 1995 - 14:05:36 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 14:05:36 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Tiga 254 as wave board

> Is a Tiga 254 at 74.x liters too low volume for a 140# surf newbie to
> take out comforably on the coast in sub 5.0 conditions?
>
> I'm looking for a high-wind B&J bay board that will double-duty as an
> occasional wave board. Is this an attainable combination in any board?
> Instead would I be better off if I got the B&J for the bay (which I
> *want* for next season), and a cheap used wave board for new exploration
> on the coast?

Many of us are using Tiga 257's as B&J boards for the bay - I use mine
with my 5.2 and smaller (185#). I have heard several sources praise
the 257 as a good board for novice wave sailors as well. At 140 lb,
you could probably use the 257 for nearly all Bay conditions,
but you might want something smaller for big conditions in the Gorge
or Rio.

I have never sailed the 254, but I understand it sails much smaller
than the 257. The 254 is more of a straight wave board, much narrower
than the 257.

I'd say buy the best B&J Bay board for you since that's where you're
sailing the most. I suspect that most B&J's will suffice for waves
until you have a better handle on what you want in a wave board. Also,
after a bad experience with a board I thought I'd like, I'd say
test-drive any board before buying unless it's down in the $300 range.

"Windsurfing is so addictive because it's like sex: you don't know when
you will get it, and then you don't know how good it will be."
                                        -- Randy Johnson