RE: Pilot Error? (Soft Board in footstrap area)

From: Wiesner Craig (Wiesner_Craig@mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 06 1995 - 09:43:45 PDT

Date: 6 Sep 1995 09:43:45 -0700
From: "Wiesner Craig" <Wiesner_Craig@mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com-DeleteThis>
Return-Receipt-To: "Wiesner Craig" <Wiesner_Craig@mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Pilot Error? (Soft Board in footstrap area)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

......I think that by trying to make the boards as light as possible the
durability is sometimes compromised.

I currently have five ASD boards. Three are epoxy (1 wave, 2 race) and two
are glass. The first thing I did was put padz on the boards before I ever
rode them. Two of the epoxy boards have been through 4 seasons. One of them
is my main bay board (8'8"). My glass board is a wave/slalom that I use
mostly at the coast and for big days on the bay. I jump both of these all the
time and I am far from graceful on my landings (6'2", 210lbs). I am amazed
that they have held up so well. I have detected no softness in any of the
heal areas. Except for the occasional catapult where the mast has chunked up
the nose all of the boards are in great shape. I would talk to Bob and show
him the board. He is not going to "Bullshit" you.

I don't agree with George on the "pilot error". Maybe some sailing styles
tend to put heel dents in the board more than others, but more likely one bad
landing that put a large point load into the glass and started the
degradation. Once the softening is started it will grow exponentially
(analogy:cluch on your truck). I would recommend getting the board fixed and
putting pads on them to spread out the point load when you have a "bad one".
Again talk with Bob, he can and does build boards with extra carbon in the
footstrap area.

                                                      - Craig