sherman Is. windtalker

From: KES2%CnoFfIoc%CTS@bangate.pge.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Aug 29 1995 - 20:40:04 PDT

From: KES2%CnoFfIoc%CTS@bangate.pge.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 20:40:04 PDT
To: <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: sherman Is. windtalker

Subject: Interpreting the sherman isl (windcraft) windtalker?

so, is there any correction factor to apply to the sherman isl (windcraft)
windtalker (916 777 7007)? This morn is fogged-in in the bay, so common logic
would be that it'd be blowing in the delta. windtalker just now sez "SW, 8-19,
avg 13" ...is there any fudge factor to apply to that given wind direction,
wind sensor location, etc?

IMHO: the windcraft windtalker reads a little low by maybe 5 mph (knots?). If
its averaging 16-17 I will make the drive (I only sail 5.0 or smaller) and it
will normally be in the low 20's.

I agree with Tom S. that you should look at the pressure differential between
S.F. and Sacramento, and a differential of at least .10 is good.

If you are online, look at the Travis AFB reading in Ken Poulton's reports,
they don't get updated all the time at night, but the Travis reading seems to
read true to conditions at Sherman, assuming the wind is from the usual W-SW
direction.

KenS