Re: towing -- self rescue ideas

From: Mike Eglington (meglin@leland.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 28 1995 - 01:59:28 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 01:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike Eglington <meglin@leland.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: towing -- self rescue ideas

> Does anybody have any suggestions for the best way to self-rescue:
> 1. swimming stance to swim in with board rigged
> -- I usually do backstroke with board held between my legs.
>
> 2. derigging at sea
> -- does it work?
> -- best ways to do it?

A method I used a couple of weeks back when my mast broke, and which I
thought worked pretty well (IMHO), was to sit astride the board on top of
my boom and rolled-up sail, and to use the longest piece of my mast as a
canoe-style paddle. (I guess you people in the USA would call it a
kayak-style paddle, i.e. a 2-ended paddle.) I suppose that this position
makes it a lot easier to signal to potential rescuers (you have something
to wave and are half out of the water), and it was also the best way I
could find to keep my stuff together, and propell myself at the same
time.

Maybe I should design some bright neon, reflective, attachable paddles,
which could double as water paddles and signal paddles for people to carry
in their survival packs!!

Mike

Michael L. Eglington
meglin@leland.stanford.edu-DeleteThis