Re: Re[2]: WIND_TALK digest 63

From: Gary Ward (gary@central.fmi.fujitsu.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 25 1995 - 15:22:03 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 95 15:22:03 PDT
From: gary@central.fmi.fujitsu.com-DeleteThis (Gary Ward)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re[2]: WIND_TALK digest 63

> I read an interesting piece on tides somewhere, I can't recall the
> details but the gist of it was that the ocean tends to bulge towards
> the moon (gravitational pull) tending to remain somewhat stationary
> as the earth rotates under it. In other words the tides are caused by the
> earth moving in relation to the water, not the water moving in relation
> to the earth! To use those electrical terms again, the water leads and lags
> the coastline due to the gravitational attraction of the moon which is
> relatively stationary to the earth within a 24 hr period. If you diagram
> this on paper you will see that the bulge of the ocean toward the moon
> does act like a wave with 6 hrs (1/4 earth revolution) between the
> trough and crest. I still don't understand the damn tide tables though.

> Name: Dave Hoagland
> E-mail: hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis
> 08/25/95 13:52:03

There are not only lunar tides, but also solar tides. Since the sun is a lot farther
away, the solar tide is much smaller. Since the angle between the sun and the moon
(as seem from earth) changes constantly over a month (one lunar orbit) the solar effect
can either add to or subtract from the lunar effect. This is what makes the whole thing
so complicated.

-- Gary Ward
garyw@netcom.com-DeleteThis