Re: fake news and the SFBA newsletter

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 21 1995 - 10:44:58 PDT

Subject: Re: fake news and the SFBA newsletter
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 10:44:58 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

perhaps option 1 should be reworded...

"We are sorry. The article `Salt Ponds etc.' in our August newsletter was not
published in the SJMN, as stated, but it was a product of the conceited
imagination of Luigi Semenzato. We admit we blew it by reprinting an article
without first checking its source, and we apologize to all our members, except
in particular Luigi Semenzato who intentionally posted misleading, blatantly
false information to wind_talk and falsely accredited it to the SJNM without
their permission."

..but I think it is more Luigi who is owing apologies. Does the word
"fraudulent" come to mind?

Jeff

fraud-u-lent \-lent\ adj
(15c)
:characterized by, based on, or done by fraud: DECEITFUL
-- fraud-u-lent-ly adv
-- fraud-u-lent-ness n

fraud \'fro?d\ n
[ME fraude, fr. MF, fr. L fraud-, fraus; akin to Skt dhvarati he
     bends, injures]
(14c)
1a: DECEIT, TRICKERY; specif: intentional perversion of truth
     in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender
     a legal right
1b: an act of deceiving or misrepresenting: TRICK
2a: one who is not what he pretends to be: IMPOSTOR; also: one
     who defrauds: CHEAT
2b: one that is not what it seems or is represented to be
syn see DECEPTION, IMPOSTURE

con-ceit-ed \-'se^-t-ed\ adj
[1conceit]
(1593)
1: ingeniously contrived: FANCIFUL
2: having an excessively high opinion of oneself
-- con-ceit-ed-ly adv
-- con-ceit-ed-ness n