How to jump?

From: Greg Payne (greg@jibe.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 17 1995 - 14:08:54 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 14:08:54 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: greg@jibe.com-DeleteThis (Greg Payne)
Subject: How to jump?

I am trying to get better at jumping the chop at 3rd Ave. I feel as though
I'm doing something wrong most of the time. I'm not sure what. I saw a
thread a few weeks ago about jumping technique which I wish I had read more
carefully.

I have figured out that I should sheet in and pull my feet up under me once
I'm in the air so that the board points downwind but I am having a hard time
doing that.

I am not sure how to approach the wave. Do I head up wind at the last
second, into the wave? Do I keep my back leg straight when I hit the wave? I
see a lot of people cathing 10 feet of air off 1 foot waves. How do you do that?

Can somebody share the steps/secrets to catching big air.

thanks,
greg