Re: Advice Needed from owners of Mike's Labs

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 17 1995 - 09:12:08 PDT

Subject: Re: Advice Needed from owners of Mike's Labs
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 95 09:12:08 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

well, I'd simply get a shorter blade fin. After some experimentation I'm
running a 13.2" by "fin works" on my 8'8 cfx for 5.2 & 5.7. seems to work
pretty well. I had been using an 11.5" but was having lotsa spinout problems
(i.e. not big enuff). Tho I'm going to try the 11.5 again on that board in 4.7
conditions at Coyote say to see how it works (might end up needing a
12-something). I have a 15.25" blade on my 9'0 which I use for 6.2 & up. seems
to work pretty well. I've had my boards rail up when way overpowered (like
sailing a 6.8 in 5.5 conditions (hey, no time to re-rig)), and after thinking
about the free-body diagram of the board/sail/rider system, it makes sense (fin
starts generating tons of lateral force, thus rolling board up cuz it puts a
moment around the board's axial centerline which overpowers the counter moment
being applied by the rider). so simple soln would be smaller fin. Perhaps try a
12-or-13-something. Windsurf Warehouse has piles of fins for all finboxes and
makes the time to help you figger out another one to try (I'm just a satisfied
customer).

Jeff