Is the Coyote COTW sensor playing tricks?

From: Gr8Jibe@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sat Aug 12 1995 - 11:44:32 PDT

Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 14:44:32 -0400
From: Gr8Jibe@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Is the Coyote COTW sensor playing tricks?

At about 5:15 Friday, COTW reported wind out of the ESE (112 degrees) for
twenty minutes before switching back to NNW. The same thing happened on
Wednesday about an hour earlier.

Can anyone comment on whether these reports reflected personal observations?

On Thursday evening, Don B. and I had a great session at Powerlines on 4.5
and 4.8, a bit overpowered with 8-6 boards while the COTW beeper reported 14
mph average at 7:32 pm with an ebb tide. Could anyone else comment on the
wind elsewhere at Sherman at the same time Thursday evening? Jim Martin
thought it might have been a local variation in the wind--and indeed there
was much more wind at Powerlines at 4:30 than at the access (4.8 vs. about
5.5). That was the best 14 mph I've ever hung on to.

Bill