Re: Coyote, 3rd yesterday?

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 10 1995 - 09:28:33 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Coyote, 3rd yesterday?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 09:28:33 -0700
From: Jack Greenbaum <jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis>

On Thu, 10 Aug 1995 09:01:44 PDT "Brennen, Don P (dpbrenn)" wrote:
> So, I've got to know. What was it like yesterday? I was on my way when
> COTW went from NW @16 to E @ 17. The wind couldn't have been that strange,
> could it? Anyway, I bagged it and now I'm questioning the integrity of
> COTW's Coyote WTalker. Gimme your on-the-water observations? Thanks.

I got on the water at 3rd about 4:20. It was light inside but folk were
hitting a wind line about 500 yards out and obviously powered in the
channel. I rigged a 5.1 Sailworks race, Tiga 260, big fin (140#). Didn't
get fully powered until I hit the channel, and it still wasn't ripping,
but the swells were good so I told myself that I'd go back in at 5:00
and rig up if I wasn't having fun yet. The direction felt like something
west of NW, I hit the channel near the marker.

By 5:00 the wind had picked up in a big way, so I went in for more
downhaul and a smaller fin instead of the bigger sail. Slogged the last
100 yds. Got back to the channel and was much more controlled. Good
ramps, good wind, good time. Went back in at 6:30 because it felt like
it was backing off a little, and I didn't want a repeat of Mondays
slogfest (not to mention that I was a little worked after all the air
time). I planed on a broad reach all the way to the launch.

Jack Greenbaum -- Research Engineer, Ricoh California Research Center
Digital: jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis | http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~jackg
Analog: (415) 496-5711 voice | 2882 Sand Hill Rd. Suite 115
         (415) 854-8740 fax | Menlo Park, CA 94025-7002