Re: EPIRB device for safety?

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 10 1995 - 01:21:30 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: EPIRB device for safety?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 01:21:30 -0700 (PDT)

'GMYoung@aol.com-DeleteThis says:'
> Does anyone know about the EPIRB device used on boats? It sends out an
> emergency locating signal that the Coast Guard monitors.
> I was looking at VHF radios at West Marine and the guy recommended a small
> EPIRB device (smaller than the handheld VHF) that's waterproof and sealed.
> It's also a lot cheaper ($200). Considering that it's smaller, sends out a
> locating signal, more durable, completely sealed, and cheaper; why hasn't
> anyone mentioned this as a device for windsurfers.

An EPIRB means a rescue in hours or days, whereas a cell phone
means that they start the rescue now. A cell phone also gives you
two-way feedback. If you know someone is on their way, you might
prepare for the event by getting flares or other equipment ready.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150