Re: build your own board?

From: David Stuart (dstuart@qntm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 07 1995 - 04:20:52 PDT

Date: 7 Aug 1995 19:20:52 U
From: "David Stuart" <dstuart@qntm.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re:  build your own board?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

        Reply to: RE>>> build your own board?

Reading a book would be a great idea. If you are doing this to save money,
the risks are high. Building a board is not easy. I would assume you are
trying to build a polyester glass board using a closed cell Clark foam blank.
If you were thinking of building an epoxy board, than you will need to borrow
some vacuum bag equipment and get good guidance in the area of layup and epoxy
curing. And the first thing you will wonder after building your own board is
"How do these guys make any money building boards?" This is a very labor
intensive process, in addition to requiring fairly expensive materials. And
the experience required to lay in fin/mast boxes will blow your mind. Symetry
and alignment take on new dimensions of challenge and frustration. And the
resins wait for no man. Its not as simple as it might seem. To be a strong
box, special I Beam style layout/construction methods are required, and the
right amount of glass and resin/epoxy using the proper glass weight is
important. It is difficult to get all of these things together without
overdoing the polyester or epoxy resins. It is easy to build a board (that
weighs 20#), but difficult to keep the weight down and strength up. I am
always impressed by anyone that can build a board, even if it does weigh 20#.
The book idea is a very good one. Best of luck!
From: schuh@apm-iris1.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Michael Schuh)
ASD used to sell a "build your own board" book. They may still sell
it. I have made my own board and suggest getting the book and having
someone shape the board for you. I think I paid $200 for a shaped
board which I glassed for another $100 in materials. ASD sells boards
for $750 which are probably worth a $100-$200 more than your final
product due to their higher quality so this means your time is only
buying you $250 to $350 in savings. Maybe it is worth it. I bet you
will put 20+ hours in to making it.

Schuh