Re: Re: (Fwd) Re: Thurs WSing at 3rd Ave + "Right of Way" discussion (fwd)

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 04 1995 - 14:23:00 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Re: (Fwd) Re: Thurs WSing at 3rd Ave + "Right of Way" discussion (fwd)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 14:23:00 -0700 (PDT)

'Kirk Lindstrom says:'
> This is a poor answer, Will. Maybe you'd like your commute home to work
> this way also? Replace all stop lights with stop signs so those on the
> cross streets don't have to wait for the 100 cars to go by....

That's not a good analogy either, Kirk. A stop light is a real object
that has green and red states. A traffic engineer sets it up to go red
and green according to an extensive study of traffic patterns in the
area. The red light does go on when there is still traffic waiting to
go across an intersection.

Last time I checked, there is no stop light at 3rd Ave. So there is
no fair parallel to that example in this case. What you are
suggesting is that any time a sailor wants off the water, there is an
automatic green light for him. For one sailor, I agree with you. For
even three sailors, I agree with you. But for 10 sailors? 20
sailors? At some point, we get into a grey area here, and there has
to be some polite give and take between those coming in and those
going out.

Having said this, I see no excuse for rudeness by those coming into
the water. There is no excuse for cutting people off. There is no
excuse for making someone coming up the ramp back off the ramp. There
is no excuse for not just stopping at the top and politely letting two or
three people come up. I'm just asking a reasonable question about
where the balance point should be.

> Sorry for the harshness, but I don't want to give the kooks any more
> excuses...

Fair enough, but I tried to give what I thought was a balanced
response. If there are 10 people waiting to get out of the water with
another new sailor coming off every 30 seconds, is it really fair to
ask the line of those going in to wait for every single sailor to come
off the water?

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150